Monday, December 4, 2017

Sometimes God asks: Do you love me?


One day, years ago, our pastor asked me if I'd consider leading a small group bible study in our parish. Although it sounded interesting, I balked. What was he thinking? How much time would this take?  

At the time, I had three kids who had to be driven to and from school everyday and a husband who traveled in business. I worked as an insurance consultant, co-led a Brownie troop, and after school, chauffeured my kids to cheerleading, horseback riding and gymnastics lessons. Life was busy.

So I had one question: "How much time will it take?"

"I don't know," the priest said. "There would be some prep time..." He cocked his head, deep in thought, and began calculating. 

I feared this commitment would demand too much time when suddenly, a scripture scene popped into my head. Jesus was asking Peter; "Do you love me?"  
Peter's response: "Yes, Lord, You know I love you."
Jesus: "Feed my sheep."   (John 21:17)

Standing there, pondering this added responsibility, it felt like the Lord was asking me: "Do you love me?"
"Yes, Lord, you know I love you."
And I heard him loud and clear. "Feed my sheep."

I waved my hands, as the pastor was still trying to come up with a response to my question. 

"Never mind," I said. "I'll do it."

That fall, a small group of incredible women joined me as I led a weekly bible study at my home on Wednesday mornings.  Surprisingly, the added commitment didn't drain time away from me. Rather, it simply enriched my life and the lives of those who joined me.   

The bible study ran for five years, and then, unexpectedly, something happened to change it all. I would have kept that routine forever, but, for circumstances out of my control, I had to quit.

The Lord had other plans for me. 


Thanks for reading! The Lord never leaves us stagnant. He's a creative God who continually makes all things new.  (Revelation 21:5)  Come back next week to see what those new plans were!  

In the meantime, you can listen here to All Things New by Hillsong Worship. Enjoy your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

From then on Jesus began to tell his disciples plainly that he had to go to Jerusalem , and he told them what would happen to him there. He ...