Wednesday, December 13, 2017

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...

Yesterday my husband and I made a quick stop into a store for something he needed.  While there, I raced to the toy aisle. Although I'd finished my Christmas shopping, surely we needed just a few more things.

I picked up a little yellow farm tractor, held it at arm's length and studied it. Too big for our infant grandson? Too little?  Suddenly an animated doll caught my attention. Maybe his big sister would like that. Or is that too creepy for a toddler? Next, I spotted a sparkly box containing four toy soldiers. Oh my gosh, what kid wouldn't want that?

I'd already done my Christmas shopping, but, really, is it ever done? With Christmas just a couple of weeks away, I was just, in my mind, trying to figure out who needed an extra thing or two. Did one kid have more than another? Were the parents taken care of? What about my husband's brother and his wife. What, really, did I have for them? And my husband? Gee, did I have enough for him?

Joe found me in the aisle, putting some toy horses in the basket and taking the animated doll out.

"What are you doing?"  he asked.

"I don't know," I said. "I'm thinking I don't have enough things for Theodore. And then I'm wondering about Lynn's kids. Maybe I should get another gift for Ayla...or Dominic? I don't know...I've lost track of what I've bought and what I might still need..."

I picked up a Barbie doll, but, moments later, returned it to the shelf. After all, I'd taken inventory recently and everyone was covered.  But still...were the gifts good enough? Maybe I needed another boy gift? Or perhaps another girl gift?

"Ugh," I said. "I'm so confused. I feel like I don't have enough stuff."

My husband, ever the calming influence in my life, looked at me.  "You have enough," he said. "Christmas Day will come and everyone will be happy. It'll be enough."

Spoken like someone familiar with the abundant love of God...love...that is always enough.


For to us a son is born...a child is given to us.. and he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace... Isaiah 9:6


Listening to Hooked on Christmas by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra with David Arnold delivers the spirit of the season! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

From then on Jesus began to tell his disciples plainly that he had to go to Jerusalem , and he told them what would happen to him there. He ...