Tuesday, November 20, 2018

More cancer treatments and an unexpected remedy (not the crackers)


Sandra, my cleaning lady, is richer than me. 

And I don't mean monetarily.

As these latest rounds of cancer treatments take their toll, I am debilitated once again. Except this time, I'm frustrated. I expected to be feeling better than this.

Sandra could see it in my countenance. Her advice? 

"Read your bible," Sandra said. She leaned on her mop.

"Your spirit will lead the body...

Body, mind, spirit...Live in the spirit."

So, frustrated with my aching body, I took her advice. Lying on the sofa, I randomly flipped open my Bible...My gaze fell onto a page, and I began reading:
  • For we know that when this tent we live in now is taken down, when we die and leave these bodies,  we will have wonderful new bodies in heaven, homes that will be ours forevermore..(In my suffering, this was actually a freeing thought!)
  • How weary we grow of our present bodies. (Yep, I felt weary!) That is why we look eagerly to the day when we shall have heavenly bodies which we shall put on like new clothes. ..(Please, can I do that now?)
  • These earthly bodies make us groan and sigh (no kidding - was the Gospel writer living in my home? Could he hear?) but we wouldn't want to think of dying and having no bodies at all.  
  • We want to slip into our new bodies so that these dying bodies will, as it were, be swallowed up by everlasting life. (In my agony, this actually was a hopeful thought!) 
  • This is what God has prepared for us, and, as a guarantee, he has given us his Holy Spirit.  (Is that what made me open my bible to this particular passage?)  (Cor 5:1-5)

Sandra was right. Reading my bible sent my spirit soaring above my aching body. 

Frustration departs. Hope prevails.



The picture above is my view in the infusion lab. Cheez Its are my favorite snack to ward off nausea. And there's always a little light reading.

This song is my gift to you today.  Click here for I Will Follow by Chris Tomlin. It says it all.








1 comment:

  1. Thanks for finally writing about >"More cancer treatments and an unexpected remedy (not the crackers)" <Liked it!

    ReplyDelete

From then on Jesus began to tell his disciples plainly that he had to go to Jerusalem , and he told them what would happen to him there. He ...