Monday, October 2, 2017

Part III...I think you just need to be with him today...

I opened the car door, slipped into the passenger seat, and gave my stepmother, Peg, a hug. Before she pulled away from the curb, she announced the day's busy agenda, which included firing dad's oncologist, renting medical equipment to be delivered to the home, and getting Dad released from the hospital. 

When she finished talking, I reached over and touched her arm.

"Peg," I said. "Forget about all that today. I think you just need to be with Dad."

A knot formed in my stomach as I spoke.

Peg was a strong-willed, determined woman. Nobody told her what to do. I cringed, expecting a harsh response.

However, it never came.

Peg simply cocked her head and looked at me.

"You just need to be with him today," I repeated.  

No argument. No criticism. No scowl.

In fact, her frown disappeared.  

We made a new plan. She'd stay at the hospital while I'd take the car and drive home to shower and clean up. My real goal, however, was for her to have one-on-one time with Dad.

It probably wasn't just my goal though.

Looking back, I realize it was the goal of God above, who put those words in my mouth, gave me the courage to speak, and gave Peg the grace to hear.

We'd soon find out why.


You can find Part I of this story here and Part II here.
here



No comments:

Post a Comment

From then on Jesus began to tell his disciples plainly that he had to go to Jerusalem , and he told them what would happen to him there. He ...