Monday, September 25, 2017

Part I - He's not dying or anything...but I think you should come now


This post returns to telling my faith story, sharing those times I found God alive in the ordinary events of my life...transforming everything.

If you've been following my blog, you'll know that my brother's death kick-started my search for God. Then, 5 years later, my own cancer diagnosis heightened my ability to see the little miracles surrounding us daily. And the story below, which took place a few months later, once again reveals the mighty providence of God in our lives. We have nothing to fear.

My husband and I had just built a new home, and my dad, states away, couldn't wait to see it. However, relentless back pain caused Dad to cancel his travel. Sadly, it was a trip he'd never make.

In the following weeks, Dad was diagnosed with bone cancer. Immediately, I flew to see him. Weeks later, when schools closed during Holy Week, I wanted to drive there and bring the kids to visit. If we had our car, we would have much-needed flexibility.

"Oh, no, don't do that," my stepmother, Peg, said when I suggested the plan. "Dad's not well. He's in the hospital. How would that work? Our place is too small. When he comes home, it would be too much to have the kids here."

It wasn't what I wanted to hear, but I conceded. 

She reassured me. "If I ever feel like you need to be here, I'll let you know," she promised.

I phoned my brother, who lived somewhat closer Dad. "It's hard to be so far away with Dad so sick," I complained.

I'll never forget Tom's response.

"Deb," he said. "It's hard to be close with him so sick. It's just hard."

They were right. There was no perfect scenario.

Near the end of that week, however, Peg phoned.

"I was sitting in the hospital all day thinking of you," she said. "Remember how I said if I felt like you needed to be here, I'd let you know? Well, all day I felt like you need to be here.

It's not critical," she said. "You don't need to take the next flight out, but come quickly.  He's not dying or anything, but I just think you should come now. Come as quickly as you can."

No road trip now. Too late. School was resuming.

Besides, a sense of urgency prevailed. I needed to catch the next flight, get there, and see what was going on. 

Our next-door neighbor agreed to keep the kids, transporting them to school with her own children.

Oddly enough, my husband was leaving on a business trip the following morning that would take him to a destination close to Dad. We'd meet at the hospital. 

I booked a flight the following day.

Driving to the airport, I pondered Peg's words. "He's not dying or anything, but I think you should come now. Come as quickly as you can."

Checking my luggage, I wondered what awaited me.

Little did I know that everything was unfolding exactly as it should. This precise timing would address the needs of each person in unique and mystical ways. 

God was in the details.



Please tune in next Monday to read what happened next.  See you then!

Click here for a great song, and have a wonderful day, knowing God is with you!













No comments:

Post a Comment

From then on Jesus began to tell his disciples plainly that he had to go to Jerusalem , and he told them what would happen to him there. He ...