Too busy to pray? Try one of these easy suggestions
Peace is the benefit of prayer, and who doesn't want to be at peace?
We're in trouble when our prayer life is crowded out by our daily demands. It happens to all of us at one time or another. Prayer takes effort.
So, how do we fit prayer into our busy days? Here are 10 simple suggestions:
1. Play holy music. I used played praise and worship songs after the kids came home from school and while I was fixing dinner. It makes a difference!
2. Choose a simple, meaningful prayer and say it daily. When my kids were young, I bought a small framed version of the Peace Prayer of St. Francis (Lord, make me an instrument of your peace) and kept it in our kitchen. I prayed it daily for a year, and those simple moments changed my day and transformed my life.
3. Feeling stressed? Pray the Sorrowful Mysteries. Pray the Stations of the Cross. Connecting with the passion of Christ is powerful.
4. Read your bible. It's quality, not quantity. Or join a bible study. It really is a good book.
5. When driving, pray the rosary.
6. Intentionally build a community of faith-filled friends.
7. Listen to holy podcasts, or recorded sermons.
8. Volunteer at Sunday church. Be a reader, an usher, a sacristan, a Eucharistic minister. It's fun! You're there anyway and we receive so much more when we give.
9. Surround yourself with holy images. Hang crucifixes. Holy art and pictures of Jesus.
10. Lift your thoughts heavenward throughout the day. Pray the Lord's Prayer and really put meaning into each phrase.