Thursday, May 31, 2018

Thursday's Thoughts - What's Your Mission?


 

Lately I've had some good days! They're unpredictable, but that's okay! On those days, I feel like I have a virus instead of the full-blown flu! It's a big difference! It appears the latest changes in those cancer treatments gave me two giant leaps forward! 

Hoooooray!

I always thought I'd recover from this cancer journey and jump back into my old life. But it's not like that. Time didn't stand still while I was huddled under the covers. Things have changed. I've changed. My priorities have changed. 

And while we naturally resist change, change is good.

For instance, now I have a laser focus. One thing this cancer has taught me is that here's nothing more important than following the will of God...which can mean stretching out of our comfort zones...or lying in a bed suffering.

The other obvious lesson? Time is limited.

So with that thought in mind, please allow me to share the following excerpt from Henri J Nouwen's book, Bread for the Journey:


Fulfilling a Mission by Henri J Nouwen:
"When we live our lives as missions, we become aware that there is a home from which we are sent and to which we have to return. We start thinking about ourselves as people who are in a faraway country to bring a message or work on a project, but only for a certain amount of time. When the message has been delivered and the project is finished, we want to return home to give an account of our mission and to rest from our labors.

One of the most important spiritual disciplines is to develop the knowledge that the years of our lives are years 'on a mission'. "



Now, with the help of God, let's get on with our day, right? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

From then on Jesus began to tell his disciples plainly that he had to go to Jerusalem , and he told them what would happen to him there. He ...