Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Cancer - Here's an Update For You

To my loyal readers, amazing family, and incredible husband - thank you. You are the wind beneath my wings. You are my inspiration. You are my encouragement. I appreciate that you are willing to share this journey with me, to remind me that the human spirit is not alone, that we are never alone.

Some of you have asked how I'm doing, and here's the update:

As you may know, I underwent intensive chemo treatments from August 2015-November 2015 and while they can't get the cancer in remission, they can keep it at bay. As a result, I will always need periodic, ongoing treatments. (Next month starts a new set of rounds.)

While these drugs are successful at holding back the cancer, the side effects have been debilitating.

There's rashes, intestinal issues, abdominal pain, bone pain, headaches, muscle aches and fevers. As time passes, the issues peel away, each like a layer of skin on an onion, exposing a new set of  underlying agonies.

Since chemo began, my brain has felt like it's wrapped in barbed wire, stuck with push pins, or embedded with razor blades.  But thankfully -  recently...the sharp pain has diminished...and on some days...there's no pain!

Almost simultaneously, the bone pain is retreating too!

I'm beginning to feel like a new person!

Well, comparatively.

There's still something disorienting going on in my head, something that's still off (I know...some of you have known that all along LOL).  It keeps me from driving, although I have gotten behind the wheel a few times for short drives in recent weeks. And although the agonies have recoiled, they've left my body feeling war-torn, making a slow recovery. 

The progress is still there, albeit slow.

With the recent improvements, I'm thinking of all the things I hope to be able to do someday. Sometimes my mind races with ideas and dreams, reaching far beyond my current abilities. 

I try not to get ahead of myself though. 

I remind myself that it's okay.

After all, my real strength is believing that God works in all things for the good of those who love Him, and God knows how I do love Him. I may be feeble, weak, and flawed in that love, but God knows I try.

So, it's okay. I just keep calm and carry on.




And we know that in all things, God works for the good of those who love Him. Romans 8:28

2 comments:

  1. God is working a miracle in you. I know it. I admire your unfaltering trust in Him. Continued love and prayers for you and your continued healing. I love you❤!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

From then on Jesus began to tell his disciples plainly that he had to go to Jerusalem , and he told them what would happen to him there. He ...