Wednesday, April 26, 2017

My Friend, My Friend, What Do You See?


While visiting my grandchildren recently, they got a hold of my phone and were scrolling through the pictures. I heard the usual ooohs and aaahs, but then one of them said, "That's boring." I took the phone and flipped through the pictures until I found the 'boring' one.

It was a picture I took several days ago after a friend of mine texted me an image of a lovely floral, china teacup, set on a table covered in pastel pink linen. Next to it, carefully placed in a fragile white china vase, was a bouquet of delicate purple pansies and yellow sunflowers. 

The image was so beautiful, it made me smile. It awakened my soul. It just made me feel good.

In response, I searched my own home to find such beauty and discovered a beautiful white ginger urn with a stunning image of vibrant pink peonies and lush green foliage. I held the precious cup at arm's length, admired it, and set it on a table covered with white linens. Then I stepped back and studied it through the lens. I considered different angles, and, choosing the perfect perspective, photographed it, allowing the background to blur for effect. 

Then I texted the image to my friend.

"I loved the beautiful picture you sent this morning," I wrote. "It made me want to capture and appreciate the beauty right in my own home, so here's my attempt!"

Imagine that! That exact same image is the one that my nine-year-old granddaughter called "boring!"

So, I guess beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.

And I guess our God-given free-will allows us to choose to focus on the splendor that surrounds us...or not.

Look around. What are you beholding today? Can you see the image of God? Do you see the beauty surrounding you?

Remember, the choice is yours.



Finally brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy...think about such things.                  Philippians 4:8






No comments:

Post a Comment

From then on Jesus began to tell his disciples plainly that he had to go to Jerusalem , and he told them what would happen to him there. He ...