Monday, July 3, 2017

A Hop, A Skip and a Jump!


The events of some days just stand out in your mind forever. This is one of them:

In a daze, I followed the slick hospital hallway to the exit sign, pushed open the door, and entered the waiting room. I quickly spotted Rhonda, who put her magazine down, grabbed her purse, and stood up.

"You ready to go?" she asked.

"Yes, yes I am," I said. I didn't break stride as we headed to the parking lot.

When we arrived at her car, I climbed into the front seat, sat down and put my head in my hands. Although yesterday I'd resisted her offer to drive me to this appointment, now I was incredibly thankful she was here.

I told her about the unsettling experience. I told her how disgusting the chalky substance tasted. I told her about the nurse's frightful assumption that I was in chemotherapy. I told her I had to return in two hours for more testing.

Apologetically, I burst into tears.

Rhonda reached for a tissue and handed it to me.

"I'm surprised you held it together this long," she said. "We have two hours?"  She motioned toward the mall across the street. "How about we go to lunch?"

I nodded, drying my tears. There was no refusing help today. I knew I needed a friend. Thank God I didn't have to go this alone, as I originally planned.

By the time we reached the shopping center, I was composed but unnerved. I really didn't want to talk to anyone else.


And I didn't have to...I'll never forget what happened next.

Upon entering the mall, I saw, in the distance, someone dear to me. I once worked for Mr. McLeod, and he was like a father to me; even offering to walk me down the aisle when Joe and I married.  He was across the mall, headed in the opposite direction, so he never saw me.  We didn’t exchange a word, but I'll never forget the comfort his mere presence delivered.


Likewise, as Rhonda and I walked past stores, I noticed several familiar faces from our parish. I didn’t know any of them well enough to greet, but merely seeing them provided strength in a powerful way.

Even as we ate lunch, a couple of fellow parishioners were seated at a table behind Rhonda. Their presence was like a billboard from God, letting me know I wasn't alone.

I was relieved that nobody required even a brief exchange. If anyone had asked me how I was doing, I would have burst into tears, and, honestly, I didn't want that.

Yet, I was strengthened by their presence. 

These people didn't realize they were doing God's work that day. They had no idea what their presence meant to me. But I'll never forget.

Amazing, isn't it? God knew what I needed...he addressed every detail. And he does the same for you...each day...every minute...every second...

There were no tears as Rhonda and I got into the car and headed back to the hospital to finish the tests.

In fact, I remember nothing more of the day...I remember only the fact that God showed me he'd never leave me alone...he's providing and caring for us...in every moment...in every instance....

Our God really is an awesome God!


You can find Part I of backstory, Help Me Rhonda (click here) and  Part II, Shake, Rattle and Roll (click here.)



No comments:

Post a Comment

From then on Jesus began to tell his disciples plainly that he had to go to Jerusalem , and he told them what would happen to him there. He ...