Monday, September 18, 2017

Post Hurricane Irma - how are you doing?


Hurricane Irma ravaged our area last week. It's the talk of the town. 
Yesterday, while describing damage sustained during the storm, a fellow parishioner made an intriguing comment.

"We lost tree limbs but the trees stayed intact. We had no property damage. We didn't lose electricity." she said. "We're okay."  Then she pointed skyward, adding, "God listened."

I snapped to attention.

God listened? What did she mean by that? As if God is some deity that we pray to and we order around? And when things go our way, God is listening?

So what if things don't go our way? Does that mean God is not listening?

I grabbed my bible
  • We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with wordless groans.  (Romans 8:26)
Maybe we don't always know what's best for ourselves. God's looking out for our eternity, not just for the comforts of this life.

Further reading confirmed God is always listening. God is always with us. 
  • So do not fear, for I am with you. Do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. (Isaiah 41:10)
  • Surely I am with you always, to the end of the age. (Matthew 28:20)
I'm thinking...shouldn't our stance be the other way around? Shouldn't we be the ones listening to God? 

After all, in the words of Jesus:
  • Pray like this: Our Father in heaven, may your name be kept holy. May your kingdom come soon. May your will be done on earth, as it is in heaven.  (Matthew 6:9-10)
Here, my friend, is where we find peace. Resting in the will of God. Trusting in His providence. 




I'm praying for all of you. Whatever your situation, I know Hurricanes Irma and Harvey delivered a lot of damage, hard work, and sacrifice. If something awful happened, I pray you see the mighty power of God manifested in the help he sends your way. If you were blessed, may you become the mighty power of God in the help you can give to others. Peace be with you. May God bless you.

I'm thinking this song is appropriate! Click here for Oceans by Hillsong.






No comments:

Post a Comment

From then on Jesus began to tell his disciples plainly that he had to go to Jerusalem , and he told them what would happen to him there. He ...