Thursday, September 28, 2017

Thursday's Thoughts

And he took bread,
and when he had given thanks,
he broke it
and gave it to them, saying,
"This is my body, which is given for you.
Do this in remembrance of me." 
Luke 22:19



This, my friend, is what the Mass is all about.  Everything in the Mass points to this moment, when these powerful words are spoken and heaven touches earth in an extraordinary way.

We begin Mass by readying ourselves to hear the word of God by asking forgiveness for our sins.

Next, we listen to a reading from the Old Testament, a psalm is sung, and then, the second reading is from the New Testament. A sermon follows, to help us live the message.

But the Eucharist, which follows, is the highlight of the Mass. It is here, in the consecration...a re-presentation of the Last Supper...that the priest, echoing the words of Jesus, transforms the bread and wine into the body and blood of Christ. 

No words can explain my experience at Mass. When I receive communion, a divine exchange takes place. Without even trying, I give my worries, concerns and struggles to God and, in exchange, receive his strength, love and peace.

So often I've arrived at Mass worrying about something, only to leave humming and with a spring in my step

But it's not all about me. Belonging to a faith community helps others too. After all, next Sunday someone may stumble into your sanctuary searching for hope. Imagine if no one was there? 

So don't stay home this Sunday. Take a stand. Be a witness to your faith. Bring others with you.

In the end, God only knows the difference it'll make.




The song found here carried me through the dark times during my recent cancer treatments. It sums up what I'm trying to say in this post. Please listen and watch the video! The images are powerful. See you next week! In the meantime, have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

From then on Jesus began to tell his disciples plainly that he had to go to Jerusalem , and he told them what would happen to him there. He ...